Police were called to a parked car which had a dog inside on one of the hottest days of the year.
The incident happened at the Jolly Sailor retail park in Tamworth on Thursday, July 30.
Tamworth PCSO Phil Trow said: “Yesterday officers were called to a parked vehicle at Jolly Sailor retail park after a member of public noticed a dog within a car.
“Although a window was left slightly ajar, we remind members of the public to be aware of keeping pets in vehicles during hot weather.
“Pets can become distressed very quickly if kept within a car during hot spells of weather and could even result in a loved animal dying from dehydration.”
An RSPCA spokesperson fumed: “It’s so dangerous to leave your pet inside any hot environment whether it be a car, a conservatory or even a caravan.
“Opening a window, parking in the shade or leaving a bowl of water for your dog isn’t enough and still leaves dogs in serious danger of suffering from heatstroke. Popping into the shop for five minutes is long enough for your dog to be affected.
“Dogs are covered in fur and do not sweat in the same way as humans do. Unlike humans, dogs pant to help keep themselves cool. The effectiveness of panting is reduced at high temperatures and humidities.
“Cars heat up very rapidly in hot – or even warm – weather. Air-conditioning can disguise the danger that a dog will face once the engine is turned off.
“We would simply ask dog owners never to leave their pet unattended in a parked or stationary vehicle and, if the weather is warm, to leave them at home where they can access cool, shady parts of the house and lots of water.”